Bishop – The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) District 9 employees awarded 8 local high school seniors college scholarships this past month. Caltrans District 9 held several fundraisers throughout the year to raise money to be given away as scholarships. They were able to raise $ 4,125 this past year. In addition to the money raised locally, the California Transportation Foundation (CTF) adds an additional 25% the money that is raised for transportation related scholarships.
“Being able to provide scholarships is our way to honor and celebrate the success of those students that worked late in the evening and early in the morning and have had results,”said Caltrans District 9 Director Brent Green. “Their enthusiasm is inspiring for the future of all of us.”
Caltrans District 9 offers two types of local scholarships. The first is offered to students who will pursue a career in a transportation related field. The following students in this category were given $750 in the form of a college scholarship:
Bishop Union High School:
- Mr. Chet Shultz who will be attending the Oregon Institute of Technology pursuing a career in Mechanical Engineering
- Mr. Clifton Yarborough who will be attending Montana State University pursuing a career in computer engineering
- Mr. Dylan Todd who will be attending the University of Nevada Reno pursuing a career in civil engineering
- Mr. Noah Conner-Becket who will be attending the University of Utah pursuing a career in Environmental Sciences
- Mr. Duncan Reid who will be attending Dartmouth College pursuing a career in engineering
Burroughs High School – Ridgecrest, CA
- Elinelle Lee who will be attending Cero Coso Community College who will be pursuing a career in accounting.
The second type of scholarship offered by Caltrans employees is for the dependents of district 9 employees. The following students in this category were given a college scholarship:
- Mr. Noah Martinez who will be attending Universal Technical Institute to become an auto and diesel mechanic in the amount of $250.
- Ms. Hannah Waasdorp who will be attending Bakersfield College to pursue a career in nursing in the amount of $500.
Employees of District 9 formed the Scholarship Committee in 2001, which makes sixteen consecutive years awarding local scholarships. These scholarships are made possible by the overwhelming support and generosity of all District 9 employees.
Caltrans District 9 would like to congratulate all of the graduating seniors and wish them much success in their future.