FORECAST: Owens Valley, Mammoth and Mono County
FROM: Dennis Mattinson, Weather and Atmospheric Forecaster
www.395travel.com / Sierra Wave Media: Eastern Sierra News
FRIDAY AUG 23 2013
Dry WSW flow now in place, so mainly dry weather through Saturday. Next weather concern is the development of a tropical cyclone now 400 miles south of Cabo. It looks to dissipate somewhere near the Baja Spur, but with a Gulf surge it <could> affect the lower Colorado river region, southern NV and SE CA, Sunday through Wednesday. PWAT values right now are +2.00. How much of this moisture we will see, is dependent on the cyclones track and the aforementioned Gulf surge. For now I will throw in a 20% chance of thunderstorms on Sunday for the Owens Valley. This may not be the only tropical cyclone to develop south of Baja, another possible one over Labor Day. Stay tuned.
Rim Fire Update: Yesterday, Great Basin Unified Air Pollution Control District, issued a health advisory for Alpine County due to smoke from the Rim Fire and other fires burning in the Sierra. Web cams on www.395travel.com clearly showed how bad the smoke was over Reno yesterday.
Recommendations for Minimizing Smoke Exposure:
1. Stay indoors with windows and doors closed; run air-conditioner on “recirculate” setting. Minimize the use of swamp coolers. If it becomes too warm indoors, individuals may consider leaving the area to seek alternative shelter.
2. When driving make sure to drive with the windows rolled up and the air conditioner on “recirculate.”
3. Minimize or stop outdoor activities, especially exercise, during smoky conditions.
4. People who must spend time outdoors should drink plenty of fluids.
· Additionally, pet owners should consider bringing their pets indoors out of the unhealthy air conditions, if possible. This is especially important for older pets.
Today: Mostly sunny. Highs 90 – 93 / Lows 55 – 65. Winds S 10 – 15 mph G 25.
Saturday / Sunday: Mostly sunny with a 20% chance of thunderstorms on Sunday. Highs 90 – 93 / Lows 55 – 65. Winds SW 10 – 15 mph G 20.
Today: Mostly sunny. Highs 72 / Lows 45. Winds SW 5 – 10 mph.
Saturday / Sunday: Sunny. Highs 73 / Lows 47. Winds SE 10 – 15 mph.
Today: Sunny with areas of haze and smoke. Highs 76 – 86 / Lows 37 – 47. Winds W 10 – 15 mph.
Saturday / Sunday: Sunny with haze north of June Lake. Highs 75 – 85 / Lows 38 – 48. Winds SW 10 – 15 mph G 30.
Today: Mostly sunny with widespread haze and smoke. Highs 87 / Lows 56. Winds W 5 – 15 mph.
Saturday / Sunday: Sunny with areas of smoke. Highs 86 / Lows 55. Winds NW 10 – 15 mph G 30.