Inyo County Sheriff’s Office press release
Residents and business owners in Inyo County are encouraged to be proactive and begin to prepare for a potentially heavy winter!
• Remove obstructions from waterways
• Clear ditches of all plants, rocks, and debris
• Clear overhanging vegetation from your waterways to ensure maximum flow
• Open pond outflow channels, and remove decorative rocks
• Clean all water screens, gutters, and drains…. And keep them clean.
• Consider draining ponds or lowering levels
Sand and sandbags locations:
• Bishop Fire Station 1 (downtown Bishop) has sandbags available. Sand is available at the following Bishop locations:
o Bishop City Park near the Senior Center, sand available
o Bishop Fire Station 3, See Vee Lane and Hwy 395, sand available
o Bishop Fire Station 2, West Line Street just north of Manor Market, sand available
• Big Pine Fire Station has bags and sand available
• Independence Fire Station has sandbags available; sand is located at the vacant lot on Clay Street between the Sheriff’s Office and Road Department
• Lone Pine Fire Station has sandbags available; sand is available at the Sand Trap on Whitney Portal Road
• Olancha Fire Station bags and sand available
Please note, bag and sand distribution are determined by weather. Additional sandbags can purchased from local merchants (i.e. hardware stores).
To report flooding please contact the Sheriff’s Department at 760-878-0383. Be prepared to tell the Sheriff’s Dispatcher the exact location of the flooding and if the water threatens structures, animals, land or roadways. If water threatens human life dial 911!
And always remember – if you see water crossing a roadway Turn Around, Don’t Drown!
For more information on flooding risks and preparedness please check out the following link: http://www.ready.gov/floods