Mike Harris Takes the Stand to Deny Molestation

Michael Jay Harris, on trial in Mammoth for 24 counts of lewd acts with a minor under the age of 14, took the stand Tuesday, denying any wrongdoing.

Harris was arrested in August of 2007 after the allegations came to light that he had molested the daughters of his girlfriend.

This difficult case involves allegations that Harris had molested two girls, twins, when the twins were between the ages of eight and fourteen. The girls are 17 now. Earlier in the trial, jurors were shown video of interviews of the alleged victims explaining what they said happened.

On Tuesday, the defendant, Mike Harris, took the stand. Cleland Hoff reports that when asked by his defense Attorney, Therese Hankel, if he had ever touched the girls in a sexual manner, Harris responded no and absolutely not.

Harris did describe how he met the mother of the two girls online in 2001. The mother was living in Nevada City, but the family moved to Bishop with Harris in 2002 and later moved to Chalfant.

Deputy District Attorney Todd Graham was expected to cross examine Harris today, but the trial was postponed due to an unspecified medical emergency.

When the case does resume, it might not be long until the jury is asked to make a decision on the guilt or innocence of this man. Earlier in the week, Hoff reports that the judge had said that closing arguments were expected this week.

 
No comments yet.

Leave a Reply



KSRW · 1280 N. Main St. Suite J · Bishop, CA 93514 · 760-873-5329
Positive Projections Web Design