Inyo County Emergency Services is working with local Fire Departments to provide 20,000 free sandbags to residents and business owners in Inyo County.
Free sandbags for flood preparedness are available at the following locations:
Bishop Fire Station, 209 W. Line Street, Monday – Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm (closed noon to 1:00)
Big Pine Fire Station, 181 N. Main Street, Wednesday 7:00pm-8:30pm
Independence Fire Station, 202 S. Jackson Street, May 10th ONLY, 6:00-8:00pm
Lone Pine Fire Station, 130 N. Jackson Street, Tuesday 6:30pm-7:00pm
Olancha Fire Station, May 13th ONLY, 9:00am-noon
Sandbags are unfilled and quantities given to any individual will be at the discretion of the local Fire Chief; additional sandbags can be purchased from local businesses.
Free sand for filling sandbags is stockpiled at the following locations:
– Site 1: Back of the Bishop City Park near the Senior Center
– Site 2: Bishop Fire Station 2, West Line Street (west of Manor Market)
– Site 3: Bishop Fire Station 3, SeeVee and U.S. Highway 395
– Site 4: Starlite Community Park
– Site 5: Mustang Mesa, Mill Creek Road
– Big Pine Fire Station
– Inyo County Sheriff’s Facility, Clay Street
– Inyo County Road Department, Mazourka Road
– Sand trap on Whitney Portal Road (west of the LA Aqueduct)
– Olancha Fire Department
Take action now to be prepared for spring 2017 runoff. Make sure you are signed up with CodeRED through the Inyo County Sheriff’s Office, update your emergency supply kit, and evaluate your flood insurance needs.