This letter was sent to Sierra Wave from Supervisor Richard Cervantes who wrote to Caltrans with his concerns.
December 28, 2011
Director Tom Hallenbeck
Cal Trans District 9
500 S. Main Street
Bishop CA, 93515
Please be advised that I can no longer support the Cal Trans Olancha-
Cartago four lane project as it stands, for the following reasons:
1. Cal Trans has disregarded the consensus of The Inyo County Board of
2. Cal Trans has disregarded the majority opinion of the residents of
Olancha – Cartago.
3. Cal Trans has ignored the Inyo County General Plan.
4. Cal Trans has disregarded the wishes of the Local Transportation
5. Cal Trans has ignored the fact that none of the other 395 communities in
Inyo County have been bypassed.
6. Cal Trans has failed to take into consideration that the route they selected
effectively kills all potential for economic growth and development along
the highway, upon which we are so dependent for our livelihood.
7. Cal Trans has failed to take into consideration negative environmental
impacts. The route they selected goes across undisturbed land creating a
killing field 115 ft. wide where wildlife will die including: deer, coyotes,
rabbits, raccoons, birds of prey, plus peoples pets.
8. Cal Trans has failed to win the trust of the community, and instead have
created an atmosphere of fear, uncertainty and doubt.
It is not without good reason that Caltrans is mistrusted. The Department is
currently under investigation for: Theft (CHP & NBC4) Falsifying Data,
(Sac Bee) Abuse of Power, ( Orange County Register).
Cal Trans has kept property off tax rolls draining county coffers of tens of
millions of dollars in lost revenue. By there own admission in an interview
with Gov. Arnold Schwargenegger The head of Cal Trans Director Will
Kempton said that “Cal Trans sometimes ran roughshod over communities
instead of working with them”.
Therefore; I urge Cal Trans to bow to the collective wisdom of the people,
Supervisors, and the LTC of Inyo County, and build the four lane undivided
highway as per alt.#la
As the duly elected official representing the people of the 5th District of Inyo
County, which includes Olancha – Cartago, I am saddened that my
constituents have been treated with such complete disregard.
Supervisor 5th District
Inyo County, California