Sun. Aug. 23, 2020: Public Service Announcement from Mono County and Town of Mammoth Lakes
The RED FLAG WARNING is in effect from 8:00 p.m. this evening to 11:00 a.m. on Monday for thunderstorms and strong outflow winds.
A FIRE WEATHER WATCH is in effect from Monday afternoon through Tuesday morning for thunderstorms and strong outflow winds.
A Red Flag Warning is the highest alert issued in advance of critical weather and dry conditions that could lead to rapid or dramatic increases in wildfire activity. The Town and County urges all residents and visitors to use extreme caution as a simple spark could cause a major wildfire. Avoid outdoor activities that can cause a spark near dry vegetation, such as yard work or campfires. Critical weather conditions are as follows:
- Thunderstorms – Isolated thunderstorms may develop as early as Sunday afternoon. The main period of concern for thunderstorm potential is Sunday evening through Monday morning, with faster moving storms producing lightning and limited rainfall. Another round of thunderstorms is possible Monday and Monday night.
- Outflow Winds – Gusts up to 50 mph.
- Impacts – Lightning can create new fire starts and may combine with strong outflow winds to cause a fire to rapidly grow in size and intensity before first responders can contain them.
The Town advises residents and visitors to be prepared for an emergency by doing the following:
- Listening to KMMT 106.5 or Sierra Wave 92.5
- Register for CODE RED (download the app and sign up for IO and Android online at: https://monosheriff.org/sheriff/page/codered-emergency-alert-system
- Follow the Town/County website and Facebook sites:
- Mono County Sheriff
- Mammoth Lakes Police Department
- Town of Mammoth Lakes
- Mono County
- Call the Town of Mammoth Lakes Public Information line: (760) 965-3612
- Visit the Town’s Emergency Information webpage: https://www.townofmammothlakes.ca.gov/379/Emergency-Information
Be prepared by having an emergency plan and in the event of an emergency, please call 911 for assistance.