NORTHBOUND AND SOUTHBOUND
FROM MAMMOTH LAKES TO BRIDGEPORT
MONO COUNTY (1 pm Feb. 5) – The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) announced U.S. Hwy 395 from 1 mile north of State Route 203 (Mammoth Lakes) to Bridgeport will be reopened at 2:00 this afternoon.
Watch for crews and equipment on the roadways
Obey speed limits
Chain controls are still in place, have them with you or on your car (4 wheel drive included)
There are still low visibility conditions
Caltrans reminds drivers to be prepared for winter driving conditions. We recommend having a full tank of gas, carrying blankets, water, food, a shovel, gloves, a flashlight, and sand or kitty litter to provide traction in case your vehicle becomes stuck. The traveling public is advised to obey speed limits during chain controls, and proceed with caution.
Current Chain Controls:
- U.S. Hwy 395
- WILL REOPEN AT 2:00 this afternoon from 1 mile north of the junction at SR 203 (Mammoth Lakes) to Bridgeport
- R2 from 17 miles north of Bishop to 20 miles south of the Nevada State Line
- R1 from 20 miles south of the Nevada State Line to the Nevada State Line
- U.S. Hwy 6
- R1 from 27 miles north of Bishop to the Nevada State Line
- State Route 108
- R1 from 3.8 miles west of the junction at U.S. Hwy 395 to the junction at U.S. Hwy 395
- State Route 182
- R1 from Bridgeport to the Nevada State Line
- State Route 178W
- R1 from 15 miles west of the junction at SR 14- the junction at SR 14
- State Route 158S
- Closed from post mile 1.1 to post mile 2.2 Use North Shore Drive as a detour
- R2 from the south junction of U.S. Hwy 395 to 3.5 miles north of June Lake Village
- State Route 203
- R3 from the junction of U.S. Hwy 395 to the Mammoth Mountain Inn
- State Route 167
- R1 from the junction at U.S. Hwy 395 to the Nevada State Line
- State Route 120E
- R1 from the south junction of U.S. Hwy 395 to 5 miles east of the south junction at U.S. Hwy 395
- State Route 168W
- R2 from Aspendell to 5 miles west of Bishop
- State Route 168E
- R1 from 5 miles east of the junction at Big Pine to 18 miles east of Big Pine
- U.S. Hwy 395
CHAIN CONTROL CATEGORIES
- Requirement 1 (R1): Chains are required on all vehicles except passenger vehicles and light-duty trucks under 6,000 pounds gross weight and equipped with snow tires on at least two drive wheels. Chains must be carried by vehicles using snow tires. All vehicles towing trailers must have chains on one drive axle. Trailers with brakes must have chains on at least one axle.
- Requirement 2 (R2): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles except four wheel/ all-wheel drive vehicles with snow-tread tires on all four wheels.
NOTE: (Four wheel/all-wheel drive vehicles must carry traction devices in chain control areas.)
- Requirement 3 (R3): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles, no exception.
For the latest highway information please visit the Caltrans QuickMap site at quickmap.dot.ca.gov or call the Road Condition Hotline at 1-800-427-ROAD (7623).